Excerpts from Petros Lorrimor's journal


The following notes were circled within Professor Lorrimor’s journal that you were given as part of your inheritance:

12th August, 4697 (10 years ago)
My research is progressing well. I recently met with a Holy Warrior who claims to have rescued an individual who had the blood of the undead flowing in his veins. The individual also claimed to have been tortured and was the subject of strange rituals conducted upon him by a group of men who were part of a sect of The Whispering Way. It would appear that my assumptions were correct and that The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

27th July 4707 (Current Year)
My research into the Whispering Way continues, alas somewhat in vein. The trail that I began to follow almost a decade ago now has grown cold. I have spoken with many individuals over this time, hoping to find another piece to this puzzle, but nothing. Since moving to this quiet hamlet, I realise that my daughter does not understand how important this is to me. As I prepare to close the book on this misadventure, and ready myself to live out my days here, I received a letter from an old friend about the Whispering Way. As I read this missive, I realise it is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Sandpoint. But what could it be?

14th August, 4707 (Current Year)
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense – the few stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with its reputation I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity – there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. 

23rd August, 4707 (Current Year)
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something – no, strike that – someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. The list must include everyone, not just inmates, but wardens and visitors. There must be a connection. Perhaps someone here – a clerk in the sherrif’s office?  a novice in the new temple? - must have such a list. I just hope they trust me enough to allow me into their library
25th August, 4707(Current Year)
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation – hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Sandpoint. I know that the Pharasmans used to secretly store them in a false crypt in the Boneyard. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items

12th September, 4707 (Current Year)
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish whatever it is that they have started. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I don’t have time to update my will, so I’ll leave this in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass. There are too many things at stake here and I hope Kendra will understand the sacrifice I have made.

The last entry was penned two days before the body of Professor Lorrimor was found lying dead in Sandpoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Important Items found in Citadel Drezen

Citadel Drezen part two, the caverns beneath Drezen

A scrap of a note